Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Any paper five pound notes stuffed away here in Italy - warning  (Read 645 times)

thediggers

Any paper five pound notes stuffed away here in Italy - warning
« on: October 06, 2016, 07:32:45 PM »
Just in case anyone has not read about it, paper notes will be gone May17 - link here for details. You can of course change them at the bank of England after that... The other paper notes are also going later... Can't stash your money anywhere these days... :o

Offline Cheryl

Re: Any paper five pound notes stuffed away here in Italy - warning
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 08:49:29 PM »
Good to know that. I wasn't aware, thanks.

Offline Allan Mason

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 10:19:27 PM »
I'm sure it won't affect many - if any - forumites, but another change to banknotes is the intention to phase out 500 notes by the end of 2018. It seems The Powers That Be have realised that such large value notes make it easy for criminals to move and hide large sums.

I suspect a few mattresses it Italy might be getting a bit lumpier over coming months.

Al

Offline maritodi

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 03:17:13 AM »
I must move in humbler circles as I have never seen a 500 pound note in my life  ;D ;D ;D

thediggers

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 10:20:13 AM »
I'm amazed to hear they still have the 500 note, I thought it went 1-2 years back!

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 10:57:25 AM »
They were definitely around a few months ago because one passed through my hands at amazing speed just a while ago! Didn't even get a chance to fully appreciate its intrinsic beauty, I got a fleeting impression of something purple😀

thediggers

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 11:02:55 AM »
Come on Levi tell the truth you have loads of them...  ;) There is a picture of them here at Wiki & information saying it will indeed be phased out by 2018 as stated by Al...

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 01:35:53 PM »
As far as I recall, about five years ago the UK pretty well managed to ban the 500 note, by making it against 'regulations' for it to pass through any currency exchange channels. Dunno if you could still bring them in in your pocket.

I suppose in these days of negative inflation it does make sense to eliminate the biggest notes first!!!

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 11:12:49 PM »
... and a little reminder regards the old 10 note which goes on the 1st March this year (2018)!