Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: liz from beckenham kent  (Read 1092 times)

Offline wraygilbert

liz from beckenham kent
« on: August 14, 2016, 10:27:45 PM »
hello all  liz here. we are going to montebello  near penne  in september and need some advice about travel ect  thanks

Offline maritodi

Re: liz from beckenham kent
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 08:44:52 AM »
Hi Liz

We looked at houses around Montebello, it's a lovely area, we eventually settled south of there in Chieti province.

Obviously the nearest airport is Pescara and I am certain there are buses from there to Penne.

If you are flying into the Rome Airports it is either hire a car or Prontobus to Pescara and then local buses.

It may be advantageous having a hire car to get about locally as you will be in a rural area with minimal transport links.

I hope this helps.

Offline Grimsby Ranger

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 09:28:49 AM »
We're in Montebello Liz, a car is essential really though a bus links it to Penne and a few surrounding villages.

thediggers

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 10:21:44 AM »
Assuming Liz is coming in from Pescara airport and has a car GR, which way would you suggest for someone new to the place? They all seem to end up on the SS81, but knowing the area a little that's not too surprising?

Offline Grimsby Ranger

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 11:00:02 AM »
Assuming Liz is coming in from Pescara airport and has a car GR, which way would you suggest for someone new to the place? They all seem to end up on the SS81, but knowing the area a little that's not too surprising?

The easiest route if you don't know the area is to get onto the SS81 and head towards Penne then take the signposted left shortly before. There are slightly quicker routes but poor roads, very little signs and roads the sat navs don't recognise make it difficult.

Offline Allan Mason

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 12:30:59 PM »
Grimsby mentioned satnavs. Just in case Liz hasn't used one in Italy before:

Our experience is that the mapping data for Italy doesn't discriminate between minor roads and very rough tracks. For example, driveways connecting only to houses near our place are shown as being equivalent to the good two-lane road they connect to. The result of this is that satnavs can direct you down shortcuts that would be passable only if you were driving a donkey.

The way I drive when using a satnav in rural Italy is to approach upcoming directed turns with scepticism and have a quick look at the state of the road before committing to the turn. If you've seen a sign at some point that indicates your destination is somewhere ahead and the satnav tells you to turn onto a road that looks dodgy but you just stay on the better road, the odds are good that the route will be recalculated with not much added to time or distance.

Al

thediggers

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 01:42:59 PM »
The 3 routes on google maps (which you can use as a satnav these days ) all go behind Auchan when you leave the airport towards the industrial estate (not the best of introductions) and all end up on the SS81. The first option to me looks the most straingforward, but involves a shot hop on the A25 (E80), it's when you come off where I think you would initially need more detail. Regards the satnav small roads, best thing to do is use google maps and street view to have a look at the route. Also with Google maps as a satnav you can pre download maps of particular areas which are available off line for 30 days. I only put the question to try to help as we still recall the shock of our first trip here and we were very well prepared....

Offline Berti

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 09:31:21 PM »
Hi Liz we are in Montebello too. Not sure of your plans whilst here, but the local village caters for most essentials, supermarket, butchers, pizza, pharmacy, few bars and restaurnat further down. A car is necessary to get further afield. whenever we have visitors satnav has worked well if you put Montebello centro in. Check with your destination for detailed instructions from the village. We do know of people who offer a taxi service from the airport if you need that service PM me and i will pass on details. Hope you enjoy your stay

Offline Allan Mason

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 08:41:22 AM »
...Regards the satnav small roads, best thing to do is use google maps and street view to have a look at the route...

Good advice. GoogleEarth StreetView coverage is excellent in Abruzzo. Junctions and roads do change and so it's possible to still be confused by signage, but doing a virtual trip using StreetView is very often helpful.

Al

Offline old timer

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 10:11:16 AM »
Hi Liz we also are in Montebello. I have never had a problem using the satnav to find a village or town. to find a house /shop in town usually works well. But out in the country the house numbering can be hard to find some times. It is a lovely area. I hope you enjoy your trip.