Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Cider  (Read 1450 times)

Offline gelatojo

Cider
« on: July 24, 2016, 10:16:35 AM »
Living in Somerset, I do enjoy a glass or two of cider, but find it impossible to buy in Italy. Do Italians drink cider? If so, is there somewhere I can buy it in the Pescara area? 😊🍻

Offline Grimsby Ranger

Re: Cider
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 11:04:40 AM »
I'm sure IPER at Pescara Nord have cider, not sure how much variety or prices though.

Offline Nakiska12

• Majella Garden
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 10:54:35 AM »
The supermarket near the  big fire station in Chieti, I think it is 'Carrefour' sells Strongbow gold, though it is not cheap....
Love many, trust a few, always paddle your own canoe….

www.homeaway.co.uk/1427729
Facebook - Majella Garden holiday apartment

Offline Allan Mason

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 01:09:51 PM »
I understand sidro is produced in the north of Italy (Friuli and Piedmont). During the seven years we lived in Abruzzo, I occasionally looked for it in various supermarkets but I never found it. I have no idea how Italian cider compares to the British version. If it's anything like the French, I'd rather go without.  :D

I took a manual apple mill and small press to Italy and tried using the fruit off the trees growing on our land to make my own. It wasn't horrible, but nor was it anything great, so a few years back I planted a selection of proper cider apple saplings. They're doing fine and the mill and press are still in our cantina, while we're now able to choose between thirty different versions of real cider and pseudo-cider on our weekly shop. As is often the way with such things, I've now gone off it.  ::)

Al

Offline rsetzer99

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 07:42:51 PM »
I was about to say something, but then I read your whole message about you planting some proper cider saplings. While waiting to move at end of year, we are taking the time to make sure we get our fill of local favorites. We have a place not far away that produces hard cider. At a tasting session once they were describing proper cider apples, and how one would find them to be bitter to the taste due to high tannins. They produce a draft cider style that is not very effervescent, is dry and has an alcohol level around 6%. Will miss the Wisconsin cheese too, as over the last decade Wisconsin has become the nations largest producer of artisan cheese. 

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 05:36:45 PM »
I tried making cider from non-cider fruit and it was horrid! Better to make apple wine than cider if you don't have cider apples.

I personally love cloudy devon cider!
a third rate mind follows the crowd