Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: From personal experience  (Read 988 times)

Offline levissima

• Administrator
From personal experience
« on: June 14, 2016, 01:22:44 PM »
Some advice, gleaned from my rather copious involvement with the
Italian tax system.

1. Don't assume that the Italians know or understand their own laws.
2. Do not assume that if someone has done your tax return and given you a signed copy, that they've actually submitted it. Always ask for proof of transmission.
3. So far, in all my dealings no one, not even the Guardia Di Finanzia understands that sterling is different to the Euro and that this difference fluctuates. Even Banca Italia got it wrong and quoted the average exchange rate for 2015 was 1 = 0.77!!
4. If your tax return is made wrongly, no matter by whom, it's you that will pay the fine.
5. I haven't yet managed to make anyone here understand that English tax is calculated April to April, not January to January, so some figures will not correspond. They just assume I'm a mad English and ignore me and make more mistakes!
6. If you do get a fine and you think it's wrong, don't just pay it. Go argue your case. The Agenzia Entrata tried to fine me (for OVERPAYMENT of tax) to the tune of 825. Fortunately I managed to find a very nice woman at the offices of the Agenzia, who listened to what I had to say and then wrote off the fine!
7. Finally if you can avoid getting involved in Italian taxation, make every effort to do so, and don't tell them anything unless they ask you.

I do think, hope, my case is unusual but one mistake made five years ago has grown and caused no end of repercussions and that mistake ended with me paying tax when I didn't owe anything and has cost me about 500 in fines already!

P.S. Forgot to say, if they make a complete pigs ear of your tax and you have overpaid, you don't get a rebate, you get a credit against future taxes. If you do ever get a tax credit make sure that it's for the correct year and the numpty doesn't just write today's date on it!!!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:41:40 PM by levissima »

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
Re: From personal experience
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 03:04:46 PM »
I'm just about to sit down and do my UK tax return and this made me smile  :D

Thanks for the information. If we do get a Brexit God knows what will happen.

Actually I dread any encounters with Italian Taxes but I was taken aback when I went into the Municipo last week and Nicola said to me Oh Hi I'll just give you your IMU bill and it was done in minutes. For June and December.

Unfortunately I then had to stand in the Post Office for an hour before I could pay ;)

a third rate mind follows the crowd

Offline rsetzer99

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 07:22:15 PM »
Good advise. Unfortunately, I am a yank CPA, and digging into the Italian tax laws will just be a temptation I cannot resist. :)

thediggers

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 10:54:41 AM »
Being in transit I missed this post, thanks Levi for the detailed information and warnings. I think we all need to read this carefully and take note of what you are saying. But of all the things said, I think not assuming anything is superb advice. I've had many a run-in with the HM Inland Revenue and anyone else who has will know how wrong they often are! So just imagine that scenario, but in dealing with the Italian version where perhaps your command of their language is not too good. Just a little thing like that Levi mentions about the tax year period being different in the two countries is a new rule to learn...