Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Change laptop DVD drive to multi region  (Read 622 times)

Offline Orbito

Change laptop DVD drive to multi region
« on: May 27, 2016, 09:54:18 PM »
Another tecchie question - does anyone have a simple fix for making the DVD drive in a laptop (in this case, an HP Envy) region free? I did have two usb drives for DVDs from regions other than the UK but they seem to have got lost in the move.

Have googled like mad but can't find a fix so would appreciate any thoughts.

Offline rsetzer99

Re: Change laptop DVD drive to multi region
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 05:37:06 PM »
Your best solution is probably a software one. Google Region Free DVD player software. I saw a number of options pop up. VLC Media player is free, and might work depending on your hardware. While I have not tested its region free abilities, it is a player that I have used for years on multiple computers.

Offline Orbito

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 09:54:01 PM »
Thanks Rsetzer, I've used VLC before - will google some more :)

Offline Orbito

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 08:50:52 PM »
Apologies Rsetzer  -a friend said today I sounded a bit short in my response to your helpful suggestion - definitely not intended, I promise! Must have just been in a hurry... :D Thanks again.

Offline rsetzer99

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 05:13:41 PM »
Prego.

I'm an accountant. Basic information exchange avoiding the tangents is how how we prefer to do business during the tax season!   ;)

Hardware wise, you can change the region on your computer drive, BUT!!!!! You can only do it a few times before it will lock to that setting forever. That said, a work around is to by an external DVD drive. They are pretty cheap. Set that one to the second region and leave the internal one in your laptop unchanged.