Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Bambi Crossed the Road  (Read 749 times)

Offline cpa21

Bambi Crossed the Road
« on: May 21, 2016, 10:07:27 PM »
I was walking late afternoon yesterday and a deer crossed the road in front of me.  This was in Rapino on SS263 at KM point 30.2.  This is a spot in the village with no street lights.  The lights start 200 meters on way and 300 meters the other.  With all the dogs that wander around it is amazing to see a deer in the village.

Is my experience unique?

Offline Relaxed

Re: Bambi Crossed the Road
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 01:24:54 AM »
Yeah - one really should take notice of those 'wildlife' road signs! I was driving (empty roads, not very fast) and I thought 'that's a big dog' and slowed down a bit!

As I got a bit closer it was a Bambi - in a place where you really wouldn't expect a 'woodland species' to appear - flat agricultural land, razed to nothing after harvest - so (apart from Italian drivers!) there are unexpected hazards of which you do need to be aware. Like families of cinghiali who think they own the road, and tonight I avoided running down a pretty vixen, (not to mention the 'Men in Lycra' brigade who I would dearly love to slaughter while they ride four abreast, and to whom I give less respect than the vixen!).

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
Re: Bambi Crossed the Road
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 11:15:29 AM »
These are probably Roe deer. We get lots in Cornwall too and you often see them in fields around our house not just in woods.

I saw several yesterday in an overgrown orchard and I think the numbers are growing in Abruzzo.
a third rate mind follows the crowd