Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Got kids in school?  (Read 905 times)

Offline Shebar

Got kids in school?
« on: May 09, 2016, 08:32:45 PM »
Some worrying evidence regarding the quality of the Italian education system...

http://www.lastampa.it/2016/05/09/societa/met-dei-ragazzi-italiani-non-ha-letto-neanche-un-libro-al-di-fuori-della-scuola-neAVu9Mwlq1XXd4abFH07K/pagina.html

Diligent parents can 'fill' many of the gaps highlighted here - but you need to know that your local school may be lacking in order to do so.  Kids only get one chance at education.

Offline Tartufa

• Welcome To Sulmona
Re: Got kids in school?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 06:39:35 AM »
This is an article about what kids don't do outside of school - play sport, visit a museum or read a book for pleasure and it talks about the poorest families.  I think the same could be said for the UK.  My daughter does 2 hours of 'Motoria' per week but it's not 'Sport'.  Kids here have to join after- school clubs to learn a particular sport.  That certainly is different from the UK but I don't think it is the school's job to take kids to archeological digs or to insist that kids read books at home. 
www.welcometosulmona.com The only English language insiders' guide to Sulmona and the Valle Peligna.

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 01:30:46 PM »
I agree, I don't see why it is a worrying reflection on the schooling system here. I have 2 kids in schools here and find the education system excellent.
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline lauclamor

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 03:22:58 PM »
The schools here are very academic and follow an 'old school' system of rote learning, which I don't agree with, but the reading problem is a social problem not an academic one.  Schools are trying to encourage children to read, whilst peers and parents make their children feel ashamed about reading.  I find this really strange.  My daughter said the other day that her best friend's mum won't buy her books because she doesn't think she should be reading.  And Italian people say to me all the time when I recommend books, 'I don't read', which to me seems such a bizarre thing to say.  They have to read a lot here at school, even though it's not a reading book as such,  they do an awful lot of reading and homework (italy is number 5 in the world for the amount of homework).  There are sports at school; they do basketball, karate and football.  And there are a lot of kids involved in after-school sports clubs, mine do rock climbing and parkour.  Beyond this there are some pretty great initiatives starting here now (at least in Penne where I live), all the kids at school have mandatory chess lessons (from the third year of elementary school); free piano lessons start next year; and they are starting trinity exams in English and French for all middle school students.  I think there are good schools and not so good schools - just like you would get anywhere I guess.