Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: carpenter / woodworker needed  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Jess

carpenter / woodworker needed
« on: April 25, 2016, 03:02:05 PM »
Hi All,

We have some wooden doors and door frames that we need to get fitted in our newly renovated home near Montefino. Does anyone know anyone who might do this for us (Italian, British or other!)? There are 10 doors and it will be a fiddly job I imagine. The doors and frames were made to measure in Bali (don't ask) so will need hinges and door handle / lock mechanisms cut in etc. Our builder here said that he didn't know anyone Italian who would be prepared to do it! I'd really like to get it sorted within the next 5 weeks cos we have guests coming to stay and no doors!!!

Thanks!

Offline Relaxed

Re: carpenter / woodworker needed
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 10:45:46 AM »
Good luck with this, sorry I can't help with any recommendations!

Decent on-site joiners are very difficult to find anywhere, but it seems to me especially in Italy. You might need to be prepared to take your doors and frames to a joiner's shop, ask him to fit the hinges and hardware there, and then cart them back to your house for fixing.

I had a client once who got all his joinery for a new house in Stratford on Avon made in Indonesia somewhere, mainly because he had a free shipping container which he couldn't fill! Everything was perfect when it arrived, apart from the very complicated on-show pyramidal roof structure, which was marginally too small. The owner had measured the dimensions off a scaled 1/100 drawing (quite probably faxed!) so there was need for a quick re-design of the top of the walls to make it work.

thediggers

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 11:45:25 AM »
Best to get a local recommendation, but you may wish to have a look here in the yellow pages. Im sure there used to be one in Bisenti, but don't know if they were any good or even still there. There is a couple of window and door places near by, one at least on the road from the Bageria garage that goes to Pescara Nord, it's near Madonna Degli Angeli, just after I think on your left. They may not be keen to fit doors not supplied by them, but you never know, failing that they may give you a contact. Good luck.

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 01:29:31 PM »
There is someone on this forum who used to do this work, not sure if he still does but I am sure if Linsead is reading this he will be in touch.
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 02:33:30 PM »
Ton here goes under the name of Il Noce I think and he is very nice and professional!
a third rate mind follows the crowd

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 09:03:29 PM »
Hi All,

We have some wooden doors and door frames that we need to get fitted in our newly renovated home near Montefino. Does anyone know anyone who might do this for us (Italian, British or other!)? There are 10 doors and it will be a fiddly job I imagine. The doors and frames were made to measure in Bali (don't ask) so will need hinges and door handle / lock mechanisms cut in etc. Our builder here said that he didn't know anyone Italian who would be prepared to do it! I'd really like to get it sorted within the next 5 weeks cos we have guests coming to stay and no doors!!!

Thanks! ive retired  do to ill health not got the strenth  i used to have if nnot it woul  bee a doddle  best do as   docha vita says and contact  noche  he is a duch carpewnter and his work looks good there again  he is only as good as the materials suplied  some of that  eastern joinery is cr ===p  i speak from exsperiance note  i said some of it   best of luck  A3

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 10:21:32 PM »
I meant to add that in Chieti Scalo on the left as you drive past the station towards the airport there is a small place just opened that sells wood and the owner seems to also carry out joinery.

He is very friendly and even sells bat boxes! I personally like these little places far more than the Obi type shops and I was given a good tip by il noce about not using cheaper southern European Pine as it grows too fast!Look for Scandinavian softwood.
a third rate mind follows the crowd

Offline Braveheart

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 09:49:10 AM »
Hi I presume you have sorted out getting your doors fitted as we have not heard from you.  Our builder who has just fitted all our doors would have done it for you.