Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Cars and insurance  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Orbito

Cars and insurance
« on: March 27, 2016, 04:14:12 PM »
Hi all - I'm in a state of confusion here (not unusual for me) about what to do with my UK-registered car and insurance. I've read through all the threads and been given lots of conflicting advice, so would really appreciate your thoughts on my specific situation.

- I have a UK RHD automatic vehicle, insured until the end of April with Churchill (which includes 90 days in Europe). The road tax runs out at the end of July, and my MOT is due in October
- I don't particularly want to drive the car back to the UK every year (cost and inconvenience), but I can't really afford to sell it and buy an Italian LHD car, especially as automatics don't seem to be too common
- I'm applying for residency in about 12 months.

Some say I should SORN it and go to an Italian mechanic and get it signed off as roadworthy for 2 years, and get insurance with Stuart Collins - but are they still offering insurance? And can I have a UK car if I'm an Italian resident?

What's important to me is keeping things legal. Look forward to your thoughts.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Re: Cars and insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 08:24:49 PM »
To be totally legal once you are resident in Italy you should reregister the car here, insure it with an Italian insurance company, pay the bollo (road tax) and get a revisione (MOT) every two years. You should also get drivers licence converted. All this is expensive and there are many money saving wrinkles but I do know a few people who have been caught out and then you have to add fines to the expense.

You could be lucky,,I know someone who has been driving quasi legally for the last 20 years here in Italy. Last week she was caught out by a rather efficient carabinieri, so far they've fined her and confiscated her licence and there are muttering of impounding the car as well.

It all depends on whether you think it's worth taking the risk and saving some money now.

These sites may be helpful

http://www.aci.it/il-club/soci-in-viaggio/driving-in-italy/driving-in-italy-information-for-visiting-motorists.html

http://www.understandingitaly.com/living-content/motoring.html

Offline 2Heads

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 09:43:09 PM »
Whatever advice you get Orbito, never forget that a big fine, losing your licence and/or having your car impounded are the least of your problems if, God forbid, you knock someone down, badly injure or kill them and no insurance company accepts you are covered because you have not complied exactly with every single niggle of the law.

thediggers

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 10:06:21 PM »
Agree with what has been said, you may not need specifically Italian insurance, but the rest you do!

Offline Orbito

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 03:12:37 PM »
Thanks everyone - am in agreement with the "don't take a risk" approach.

Sounds like it will be easier in the long run to get an Italian car...

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 03:23:33 PM »
There's no great need to rush - you have six months (even if you were a new full time resident) to run your UK car so long as it is legal to drive on the roads in the UK. (If I recall correctly this is Geneva convention, rather than any European ruling, but it's possible some newish EU stuff now overrides the GC).

In my view that means you should not SORN it. How much would a SORN save you? Not very much surely, (6 months road tax) and certainly not worth the risk. Everything on the roads in Europe is becoming more integrated via interconnected computers, so you could get snapped for a trivial bit of speeding in Abruzzo and when your plate gets flagged up as 'SORN' it becomes of interest not only to Italy, but to the UK.

On the upside, I can now use my Italian Telepass on French (and some other European) motorways now!  A great advance - it might even persuade me to travel outside Italy....

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 05:40:40 PM »
Of course it could all change after 23 June!😱

Offline Orbito

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 09:57:13 PM »
There's no great need to rush - you have six months (even if you were a new full time resident) to run your UK car so long as it is legal to drive on the roads in the UK. (If I recall correctly this is Geneva convention, rather than any European ruling, but it's possible some newish EU stuff now overrides the GC).

In my view that means you should not SORN it. How much would a SORN save you? Not very much surely, (6 months road tax) and certainly not worth the risk. Everything on the roads in Europe is becoming more integrated via interconnected computers, so you could get snapped for a trivial bit of speeding in Abruzzo and when your plate gets flagged up as 'SORN' it becomes of interest not only to Italy, but to the UK.

On the upside, I can now use my Italian Telepass on French (and some other European) motorways now!  A great advance - it might even persuade me to travel outside Italy....

Thanks Relaxed - I'm a bit confused on the timing front. From what I've read you have to register the car after having lived here for six months, whether you're a resident or not? I still have over a year before I need to apply for residency, but the car won't have any insurance after the end of April - so do I -

a) bite the bullet and apply for residency now, and then re-register the car with Italian plates at a pratiche auto place, or get Gbatt to do it - or
b) insure it/pay road tax etc in the UK and wait until I have residency in 12 months' time?

I don't speak much Italian yet and the last thing I want is to be pulled over by the carabinieri for anything, never mind anything more serious, like an accident (heaven forbid)!

« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 10:05:49 PM by Orbito »

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 10:15:46 PM »
for peace  of mind contact  gbatt 9 he has his finger on the button and works in with the moto oarthotys  and is up to date with the regs  or you can do what some otheres do  lie and drive on a wing and a prayore  till they get stoped or have a acident  A3

Offline Orbito

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 10:39:18 PM »
Thanks Linsead, I've sent Gbatt an email
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 10:49:09 PM by Orbito »