Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Full Fossa!  (Read 4921 times)

Offline La Vigna

Re: Full Fossa!
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2016, 10:41:05 AM »
Good advice OO, I always tell visitors we have a tank so they are mindful of what doesn't go down loo. I don't use bleach like I do in uk although I give the sink and Loos a quick squirt with it when we go away but don't flush it down. I did try and get more bio degradable paper at first but have reverted to stuff I think will dissolve ok.

Offline maritodi

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2016, 10:41:41 AM »
I collect coffee grounds and use them when friends come for coffee  ;D ;D ;D

Offline La Vigna

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2016, 10:46:39 AM »
I hope not the ones you've put on your garden!😉

Offline La Vigna

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2016, 10:55:19 AM »
We went back to Sasi (out water company)  and told them we have a fossa and noticed on our bills that we were being charged for waste. They gave us a form which our geometry filled in to confirm and we took said form back and was told we would get it credited back and we haven't paid anything since last year. Have no idea what the refund is as haven't had a bill since or any payments taken from bank as we pay by direct debit. So any of you not on main drain, check you are not being charged for it. We only thought to check as we have just been forced to be metred in UK and you can have your outgoing water bill adjusted dependent on varying factors.

Offline rsetzer99

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2016, 06:17:51 PM »
Septic systems are fairly common in the rural US. There is a product called Ridex that is widely advertised. A once a month application down the toilet that keeps a healthy colony of poo digesting bacteria going in the system. Do they not have the equivalent in Italy?

Offline Allan Mason

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2016, 07:09:35 PM »
Septic systems are fairly common in the rural US. There is a product called Ridex that is widely advertised. A once a month application down the toilet that keeps a healthy colony of poo digesting bacteria going in the system. Do they not have the equivalent in Italy?
There are Italian products that claim to keep septic tanks operating. Can't recall the brand name, but it's sold in plastic boxes in the household cleaning section of supermarkets.

Whether such products are beneficial is open to debate. A variety of opinions can be found on the internet.

Al

Offline Olive Oyl

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2016, 09:10:07 PM »
WC net does packs of tablets. We found that unless we throw one a week down the loo, things can get quite smelly. We just had our tank emptied after 2 years here and everything had been working as it should so had a straight forward empty and clean job. Think they're worth using

thediggers

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2016, 09:51:01 PM »
We've got two, one main, only thing we've ever thrown down them to help out is old out of date fresh yeast... Never been smelly, then again our sense of smell in old age is US...