Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: iPad signal  (Read 5339 times)

Offline The Kid

• Administrator
Re: iPad signal
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 06:18:51 PM »
Diggers, Wifi range extenders and repeaters are exactly the same thing. All they both do is take a wireless signal and rebroadcast it. It's just another case of confused naming/branding.

Olive, where are you placing the Netgear extender?

Also, you need to make sure that both devices (the Linkem modem and Extender) are not using the same wi-fi channel as this will create interference.

thediggers

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 06:42:24 PM »
A bit more Heath Robinson.

Linkem router which says Gemtek underneath.
2 x TP powerline adapters, one connected to the router and the other to the main computer Bohr with Ethernet cables. Gives a good signal to the main computer.

At the bottom of the house is the lounge where I would prefer to sit and use my iPad. On the stairs I can pick up the router signal wirelessly but to sit in the lounge of a comfy sofa I have had to use a netgear extender which is bit hit and miss.

I thought I had just managed to set up the esynic repeater (yes it was that type and model on the amazon link) and I can pick it up on my iPad but it keeps asking me for the password and nothing I enter works so no internet connection :( I've gone back to e netgear extender - had heard that AirPort Extreme was good but didn't want to fork out 80 for something that might not work.

It could be that plugging a different model of wifi equipment into the mix has confused everything but I'm now fed up and frustrated.

Yes, but you learn along the way... It has a PIN for the eSynic on the label, have you tried that? If it is configured, it should use the same SSID/password of your main router/modem.  You may need to configure this. It also has a user password of "Admin" on the lable , like most of these devices you likely can plug it in and access it to change the details and/or logon to it by typing the IP address (default address is also on the lable). It has WPS, so if the main router/modem supports this it should be very easy to connect to it.. Never heard of Gemtek, I think Netgear are about the best value for money around for networking, or were last I had to use such things..  Airport Extreme is Apple I believe, therefore an expensive option...  :-X

thediggers

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 06:45:34 PM »
Diggers, Wifi range extenders and repeaters are exactly the same thing. All they both do is take a wireless signal and rebroadcast it. It's just another case of confused naming/branding.

Olive, where are you placing the Netgear extender?

Also, you need to make sure that both devices (the Linkem modem and Extender) are not using the same wi-fi channel as this will create interference.

Sorry Kid, but they are not.... A true repeater will boost the signal, whereas an extender will not and lost is up to 50% bandwidth...

Offline The Kid

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2014, 07:13:55 PM »
No, what they both do is create another wireless network, most models will amplify the signal (to some degree) and they will all reduce the bandwidth by at least 50%. You need to place the extender/repeater at the very edge of the source wi-fi networks range. In-between you will have a crossover area where both networks are visible.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 07:57:25 PM by The Kid »

Offline Olive Oyl

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2014, 07:22:31 PM »
Diggers - yes have tried typing in admin for the password and also the repeater pin and the SSID password - nothing works.

The Kid - the netgear extender is at the bottom of the stairs where the iPad can still pick up the router signal but only weakly.

Need to have a break before I try again - it's exhausting running up and down 2 flights of stairs to keep plugging things in and unplugging them!

Offline The Kid

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2014, 07:35:26 PM »
Olive, can you tell me the model number of your Netgear extender?

Offline Olive Oyl

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 08:56:51 PM »
It's a universal wifi range extender wn2000rpt

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2014, 09:06:28 PM »
This might be a bit untidy, but couldn't you run a LAN cable from the (fixed position) modem/router to a wireless router? You maybe have a spare tube in the walls to pass a cable down to the middle floor.

thediggers

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2014, 09:19:06 PM »
No, what they both do is create another wireless network, most models will amplify the signal (to some degree) and they will all reduce the bandwidth by at least 50%. You need to place the extender/repeater at the very edge of the source wi-fi networks range. In-between you will have a crossover area where both networks are visible.

They don't... Many current devices will act in a number of modes, but the principle is the same. A true repeater will "repeat" the bandwidth and the SSID, an extender will not. It may well be that current devices do "all" in their different modes, hence you saved my asking what the Netgear model is... It may well be an older model that does not do everything..

The correct solution for this problem is to hardwire from the main router/modem to where you want access. e.g.

2 x TP powerline adapters, one connected to the router and the other to the main computer Bohr with Ethernet cables

Not sure what the powerline adaptors are and why the iPad is a problem connecting, guessing they are not Netgear (or Apple). From these you can attach a WIFI AP device to transmit well above anyone in Italy's bandwidth.. It is not rocket science requiring an "expert" it just takes the right equipment, a little time, reading the manuals and running up and down the stairs if need be....

OliveO, note the eSynic is only 2.4GHz and not dual band, it may well not be compatible with your main router/modem. It looks like it does need to be manually configured, but I have not as yet found a manual for it on-line. However it may be the Netgear kit can be configured to work in a better way... and you do not even need the eSynic...

thediggers

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2014, 09:40:46 PM »
It's a universal wifi range extender wn2000rpt

That is not dual band either and working at 2.4GHz, so ignore my comment on the eSynic....  :)

thediggers

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2014, 09:57:46 PM »
Assuming these are the manuals

eSynic

Netgear wn2000rptv2

Other for the Netgear are here ...

thediggers

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2014, 10:02:21 PM »
This might be a bit untidy, but couldn't you run a LAN cable from the (fixed position) modem/router to a wireless router? You maybe have a spare tube in the walls to pass a cable down to the middle floor.

TP-Link almost does the same if the electric circuit is one, not too sure why OO does not have it in the lounge, or is it supplying the main router to upstairs, too late at night for me to check back, but sure that's what OO said...  :-\

Offline Olive Oyl

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2014, 10:15:14 PM »
If I had a laptop in the lounge I would just use another powerline adapter and attach via the LAN cable but you can't do that with an iPad or is there a special adapter you can get to fit the iPad - that would be perfect!

Offline Allan Mason

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2014, 10:27:18 PM »
TP-Link almost does the same if the electric circuit is one, not too sure why OO does not have it in the lounge, or is it supplying the main router to upstairs, too late at night for me to check back, but sure that's what OO said...  :-\

Well, yes, that was what I've been wondering: why not plug in another powerline network adapter in the downstairs lounge and connect a wireless access point to that?

I fought for years with trying to sort out WiFi networks in our old farmhouse, but came to the conclusion that the technology is simply no match for metre-thick stone rubble walls and steel-reinforced concrete slabs. It is possible to get a fairly dodgy signal from one end of the house to the other, but only if the path between router and device is doorways and windows rather than walls.

In the end, I managed to run network cable between strategic points and this improved things a lot, but there are still lots of WiFi dead spots in the house, some just a couple metres away from base stations.

The reason we could not use the powerline network hardware is because the house (for some bizarre reason) has three separate circuit breaker boxes: one for upstairs, one for downstairs and one for the apartment annex, and I could only get powerline networks to work between sockets on the same circuit breaker. Something - I suspect the RCD - means that a powerline adapter on, say, an upstairs socket cannot connect to one in the apartment or downstairs. Extremely annoying.  >:(

Al

thediggers

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2014, 10:54:06 PM »
Ha! Al I think that's normal for electrics here, so powerline adaptors may be limited....

OO... seems this is recommended by those "lovely" Apple people (have they bought D-link?) , can't see why an iPad would not connect to any powerline, did read some bad reviews of TP whilst on....  When ur not so sick of it, have a read of the reviews on your eSynic here on Amazon, perhaps some good and some duff... Can't see why this would not work set-up as a repeater, unless Al's problems apply, different circuit...  :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 11:04:21 PM by thediggers »