Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Residency  (Read 3058 times)

Offline Cheryl

Residency
« on: August 27, 2014, 11:36:18 AM »
Have been looking into getting residency and we meet criteria except for private health insurance, does everyone have it who is a resident ?

Offline linsead oil

Re: Residency
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 11:40:50 AM »
 a lot of people get it for the first year then hok up with the local health system  ring  g batt9 get it from the horses mouth he  has been sorting out theses problems for 27 yearts not just for englisyh but for italians allso

Offline Cesare Rinato

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 03:03:51 PM »
I am a resident, and have a Tessera Sanitaria ( or I would have if ASL had bothered to send me the promised replacement card ) However, I have also kept private health insurance. This was not to meet residency requirements. My company provided health insurance and so I simply kept it going. I spoke to Allianz ( who at the time insured my house contents and car) They did a reasonably priced insurance but I opted for a UK company, who included repatriation to the UK. It cost a fair bit more but I thought I would rather wake up in a hospital where I would have some idea of what is going on rather than spend most of my time trying to remember the Italian for "I need a bedpan immediately"

I don't think my commune asked for private health insurance, just proof of income. I simply took my tax return along, they smiled and looked blank and sent the local vigil around to check out I was actually living here. He arrived at my house with a colleague and they sat down. I offered coffee and prepared myself for an in depth grilling. This consisted of her asking my name at which point he looked out of the window. Said "it looks like rain" and they left.

Have you resolved the ear infection issue? If not I would go to the local hospital. They are usually very helpful. My wife had an infected bite on her knuckle when we visited Italy some years ago. They had to cut off all her rings before they could even start treating the sting. I not aware that anybody even asked her for documents at any point during that process. Lanciano is chaotically entertaining.
A hairy man who is scant of hair

Offline Red Mistral

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 05:18:24 PM »
Cheryl, why don't you come round to ours later this week. We're away at the moment, returning home tomorrow. We had very little problem getting the residency, so I can explain and show you what we presented to get it. Our commune are one of the more welcoming, so hopefully we can point you in the right direction.

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 09:17:25 PM »
Cheryl, why don't you come round to ours later this week. We're away at the moment, returning home tomorrow. We had very little problem getting the residency, so I can explain and show you what we presented to get it. Our commune are one of the more welcoming, so hopefully we can point you in the right direction.

now your talking  this is how it works in abruzzo  somone finds the path easy  , and tells somone  how to go down the same path  , welldone  red mistral

its no good any one posting  the coments or experiaces  from another comune , even if its only  5 kms away  or posting what  the EU rulling is

local knowlage and contacts  are the best  . and you can find them though this forum as . this post makes clear  well done  red

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 09:35:06 PM »
Here here red, may all our problems be solved, if not, new friends found.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 10:45:41 PM »
I would advise some careful thought about getting residency, if you don't intend to live here permanently.

It used to be that people opted for getting residency because it means paying less tax on the purchase of a house but if you've already bought your house then you won't be able to take advantage of that tax break.

If you get residency you pay a little less for your utilities and bank account, you will find it easier to do certain things like buy a car etc but and it's a big but you will be in the Italian system.

Italian residents are required to make a tax return each year. If you still own property in the U.K. the Italian tax system considers it a second home and you will be liable for paying IVIE.

If you have income in the U.K., you could still be liable for tax in the U.K..

There are non double taxation agreements within the EU but try explaining that to the Agenzia Entrata!

You really need to weigh up all the advantages and disadvantages associated with becoming resident before you make a decision. I know several people who got residency even though they are not permanently resident, it saved them a bit if tax at the time but is costing them dearly now.

thediggers

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 11:11:18 PM »
... can it be moved to Residency category.... ?

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 11:43:47 PM »

Done :)

thediggers

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 11:51:18 PM »

Done :)

Was going to say you are a "star", but see it's a "hero"...  :)

Offline Cassius

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 12:13:07 AM »
Once you are a resident - can you rescind residency if and when you wanted to move back to the UK/US/Whatever?   I wonder what the short and long term implications would be  both in Italy and in the other country and what would happen if you wished to renew Italian residency at a later date.  I hasten to add that this is not my current situation but I would like to know.

thediggers

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 11:52:23 AM »
I've asked this question before (not here) and knowing the guy that answered I sure he will be right. Short answer is yes! I understand you need to put it in writing to the comune, it does not effect your tax saving unless you sell the house, I think it was after 5 years that this would make no difference in any case. I also read recently that you are really automatically no longer resident if out of the country for a certain length of time, can't recall if this was 3 or 6 month. I'm sure if you come back you would in effect start again, but in any case would be expected to sign on as resident after being here 3 months (by law). I'm sure the post on this was a link to the official police site here in Italy... Of course no one here in Italy takes much notice of any of this and as Linsead and others clearly pointed out it varies from comune to comune. I would take issue (jokingly of course) with Linsead statement that it's ok if it's the same comune and person you deal with. If they don't like your face, then you will have a hard time... Hasten to add our comune has been superb! To be fair, they are small concerns some of whom don't know the UK is in the EU (I sometimes wonder myself who is...).
A lot of people read all of these post, but as someone said recently, they only take the advice they want the hear, human nature. We did the same, but were lucky to get away with it, or were we well researched - ha! hindsight is a wonderful thing! So some more advice, take your time doing anything, this is not the UK, else we would not be here! If you rant on about the wy things work so badly here, then you are unlikely to get the most out of the place. Those that work here, my apologise, I know that cannot be easy and must be frustrating. The rest of us retired folks should learn to enjoy it! 

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 11:58:35 AM »
how verry true diggeres what a good post   enjoy italy and  dont look for the negatives   go with the flow  enjoy the weather food wine and the culture  A3

thediggers

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 01:35:25 PM »
Ok, what I read was that if away from Italy more than 6 month it can invalidate your residency here in Italy, no details provided. I was trying to find the official information on how much income you need, but can't track it down. However this site gives details (I'm guessing a bit out of date, but it wont be by much) . This also might be of some use, in English and I'm guessing official.

Offline Christoforo

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 02:37:49 PM »
Thx TheDiggers .. very useful.

The attached made me laugh ...  that would just about cover the OHs drinks bill  :P ;D