Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: chainsaw  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Hagbean

Re: chainsaw
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 01:35:37 PM »
Just so you can get this straight -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bFatvC4BDE
[/quote]
 ;D
HB

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 03:47:32 PM »
Pimps, faggots and benders - you couldn't make it up ;D ;D Thanks for that.
a third rate mind follows the crowd

Offline 2Heads

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 11:41:49 AM »
The Italian word for a faggot comes from the same root as the word fascism. The Latin word fascis means bundle and the symbol for fascists was a bundle of sticks around an axe.

BTW I always start my pizza oven with faggots of olive prunings which burn furiously. I leave the bundles for a year to dry out so each year I am using the previous year's faggots. They are a bit long so they tend to stick out of the front of the oven until they have burnt down a bit - although our local friend cuts his to length with a chainsaw. He also taught me how to tie them up tightly with a butchers' type knot after my first year's disaster when they all fell apart as the prunings dried out.

Offline Venatore

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 07:20:25 PM »
Fascinating!
I always wondered what the significance of the axe in the bundle of sticks represented. Is it simply a convenient way of carrying your axe and faggot in one hand or could it have a more sinister meaning reflecting the armed proletariat in a Hammer and Sickle kind of way?
V.

Offline Allan Mason

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2016, 07:36:06 PM »
The fasces were carried by the bodyguards of magistrates in Imperial Rome. The axe symbolised the power of the magistrates to impose capital punishment.

Al

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 11:43:45 PM »
Wasn't one of the reasons that the 'bundled sticks' became the emblem of political Fascism all about 'solidarity'? Clinging close to those close to yourself (politically, or nepotistically)?

It is one of those good/bad tropes - it might have been adopted by the Communists (as in extreme right and extreme left tend to political populism) - but apple pie seems to have won the day.

Offline 2Heads

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2016, 11:22:29 AM »
As Al says the fasces were a symbol of power in Imperial Rome. The axe stood for capital punishment but the magistrates could not put a Roman citizen to death so the sticks represented their power to beat the citizens as a punishment.  As Rome moved from being a 'kingdom' to being a republic they did come to symbolise strength in unity (as Relaxed suggests) as one stick can easily be broken but a bundle cannot.
Interestingly, despite its use by fascists, the symbol is now used extensively by the French state and even more so by the USA.