Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: chainsaw  (Read 3517 times)

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
chainsaw
« on: November 21, 2015, 10:28:19 AM »
I am getting desperate for some help with my olives -is there anyone here who could bring a chainsaw over and cut/prune about 9 olive trees for me?You can have some of the wood but I want to keep a bit to make some stuff in my house.

I am offering to pay of course! Plus lots of cups of tea with chocolate biscuits!

I am over for a week after Christmas so if anyone can help please send me a PM.
a third rate mind follows the crowd

thediggers

Re: chainsaw
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 01:16:18 PM »
Not wanting to disappoint you DV, but after having cut up the wood from heavy pruning of about the same number of trees (our neighbour did the drastic pruning). It is not straightforward work, even for a good chainsaw and operator (okay certainly not this operator). Several fillings of both oil and fuel, adjustments to the chain and having to get the chain sharpened (well done the local fix-it shop who did it for free). It took a number of hours just to saw the wood up. Hence you may not get many keen to respond to your call to help out. On the good news front, olive wood, apart from being lovely, is superb for burning as the heat output is very high. Last we checked locally we were quoted 15 a quintale to buy it. Good luck in getting someone to help out.

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 03:58:09 PM »
I also would not do it at that time of year, light pruning is OK but cutting large branches with a risk of frost about may kill it off all together.
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 09:33:32 AM »
Well the deed is done.

I hope the trees are OK.In the UK we do all of our pruning in Jan and a few years ago I cut one olive right back to a single trunk and that summer it sprouted a superb new set of branches.

Fingers crossed!

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 10:31:56 AM »
They should be fine, everyone else is busy pruning now, so this must be the time.

thediggers

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 11:07:10 AM »
Well the deed is done.

I hope the trees are OK.In the UK we do all of our pruning in Jan and a few years ago I cut one olive right back to a single trunk and that summer it sprouted a superb new set of branches.

Fingers crossed!

Glad to hear you have them cut DV, sure they will be fine. This site seems to have some very good information for maintaining your olive trees.

Offline Christoforo

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 11:17:47 AM »
I found this book pretty good too http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/8844028662?ref_=pe_386201_51767741_TE_dp_1

.. but I think local knowledge is the best .. if varied .. the debate whether to plough the grove or not seems to have 2 definite sides in our area.

One thing I learned yesterday is ... Cut olive branched burn really well ... so does the dry grass around them if the wind is blowing up the hill and fans the flames!!

I decided to postpone burning them after just managing to control my mini Abruzzie bush fire!!  ??? ::)

Joking apart pruning olives and the associated clearing up does provide 101 opportunities to damage yourself (cutting, falling, lifting, burning, straining etc) so take it easy!

... someone remind me why I bought a $%*ing olive grove ?!?!?!  :P

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 12:26:15 PM »

... someone remind me why I bought a $%*ing olive grove ?!?!?!  :P

You bought it to go with that south facing terrace  ;D

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 07:17:17 PM »
Well I donated the olive wood to another forumnite but I hope there will still be enough smaller branches to fuel the restored pizza oven this summer.
In Cornwall the bread ovens were fed by big bundles of 'faggots' made from Ash and Hazel sticks tied together rather than big single logs.

Was this the tradition in Abruzzo too? If so what is the Italian word for a faggot :D

thediggers

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 07:41:24 PM »
Well I donated the olive wood to another forumnite but I hope there will still be enough smaller branches to fuel the restored pizza oven this summer.
In Cornwall the bread ovens were fed by big bundles of 'faggots' made from Ash and Hazel sticks tied together rather than big single logs.

Was this the tradition in Abruzzo too? If so what is the Italian word for a faggot :D

If they are more than 1" in diameter I would keep them until next year, but we have found the very small branches that they burn here very good as "faggots" if you fold them and tie them around themselves. Not tried them yet for the pizza oven, but intend to this year. I suspect they may generate too much ash to be used other than starting the oven.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 08:40:14 PM »
The Italian for faggot is fascina. That's so fascinating I bet you'll remember it  ;)

Offline Venatore

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 10:45:04 PM »
Dolcevita
I have heard that the Cornish and Irish bread ovens also used Gorse in areas where wood was scarce. The only advantage I can see to using this material is that in winter or summer, wet or dry,  it will burn....... and produce a lot of smoke in the process.
V.

Offline Christoforo

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 09:24:44 AM »
I hope none of our US Abruzzoluetely'ers are concerned about what (or who!) DV is burning in her oven.

Funny how different words have different meaning .. Faggot being one of them!  :o :P

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 10:27:54 AM »
Well I could also be burning those disgusting Welsh(?) meatballs made by Braines also called faggots! The dogs would love them!

Offline the wrong side of the valley

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 10:40:54 AM »
I hope none of our US Abruzzoluetely'ers are concerned about what (or who!) DV is burning in her oven.

Funny how different words have different meaning .. Faggot being one of them!  :o :P

Just so you can get this straight -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bFatvC4BDE