Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: How to sell my house this century please?  (Read 12797 times)

Offline Venatore

Re: How to sell my house this century please?
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2017, 11:47:07 PM »
I think it definitely falls into the category of a do it upper. As VV said good photos on a sunny day to make the most of the house and scenery would help. Also I imagine you had some plans for the house when you bought it, some vision? Maybe it would help if you conveyed that vision in your description of the sales particulars as would any permissions you had sought or could seek, pool, roof terrace, extension etc.
When I did my search for a property one of the key criteria was it had to be habitable at even the most basic interpretation which for me was having power, water and drainage connected to the property or easy to reconnect. Having doors and windows to secure it of course reassures any prospective buyer. Maybe a further investment of some time and money would make it stand out and why not as others have suggested advertise on ebay, gumtree, facebook or whatever.
Best of luck
V

Offline Lostintranslation

« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2017, 10:00:58 AM »
Thanks for posting the link.  I must say I do agree 100% with Casey, my only quick piece of advice I would like to give before you speak to your agent is, IMO do not sell the land separately. You won't get much for it and you will find it even harder to sell if you do not have land. The neighbors could have  first refusal if they are farmers (registered) but they will also have to buy the house (if you want them to). It may be worth asking them but I cannot imagine a local giving you E40,000 for both land and house.

The points raised by Casey are bang on when it comes to what people look at when they buy ruins. Will the house be amazing when finished (imagine the grand designs people have for their Italian dream home), is the location to die for so who cares what it costs or is it very cheap and won't cost too much to do up as it is small. Does your house fall into one of these?

One of your photos shows the back of the house and I can see a building across the little track, is that yours? What is at the end of the track, is there another building?

In my experience views rule over everything, give someone dramatic scenery and a town close by and you have a winner. Regardless of what you, me or anyone thinks, people love a house on a hill, even a steep one as long as when they stand on the terrace their jaw drops. I am sorry to say that a 'nice' countryside view doesn't often win them over.

I do not want to be negative and I am sorry if it seems like I am pulling your house down, I am not and really I should not comment as I have not seen it but I am like many others looking at it on the internet.

What I would suggest you do urgently especially with the beautiful weather we have is to re do the photos, blue skies and country views how it looks now may just get you a few viewings.

Thank you new photos is a good idea I will ask today.

Of the three categories you mention, it is the second two ie location to die for and small so won't cost as much to do up.

It is on a hill or promontory really and the views are panoramic and breathtaking, the photos do not do it justice.

Behind the house over the track are a few other houses. The track is well maintained, the other two or three houses are lived in or weekend houses. My house has its back to them so looks out on an uninterrupted panorama of vineyards, olive groves and fields into the distance. There is an attached barn like a single garage, a knee high ruined barn and a pigshed/yard. I think there is a village with bar about a mile away but just up the hill is an Agriturismo organic vineyard.

« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2017, 10:03:48 AM »
We used to own a holiday home in France, before we sold up in the UK & moved out here. When we tried to sell it, our French agents (the ones we'd originally bought it through) were slow & nothing seemed to happen, so I decided to list it on eBay. We had an amazing response with probably a couple of dozen potential buyers (i.e. ones that were proposing to go out to view it) within a couple of weeks. Never mind the legality of it while we had it listed with agents; eBay can be an amazing tool. And I think the fees were very modest too.

As it turned out, our agents came up with a cash buyer very soon afterwards so we didn't need to progress the eBay options, but the potential is definitely there.

Sounds familiar...

I have had it on Ebay for a long time in the wrong category for free listing, I will try the right category (!) I think it was only about 50

« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2017, 10:07:35 AM »
I think it definitely falls into the category of a do it upper. As VV said good photos on a sunny day to make the most of the house and scenery would help. Also I imagine you had some plans for the house when you bought it, some vision? Maybe it would help if you conveyed that vision in your description of the sales particulars as would any permissions you had sought or could seek, pool, roof terrace, extension etc.
When I did my search for a property one of the key criteria was it had to be habitable at even the most basic interpretation which for me was having power, water and drainage connected to the property or easy to reconnect. Having doors and windows to secure it of course reassures any prospective buyer. Maybe a further investment of some time and money would make it stand out and why not as others have suggested advertise on ebay, gumtree, facebook or whatever.
Best of luck
V

Thanks I will check the listing stresses access to services as this can cost a fortune if they are not near. Last I checked it had mains water and had power at some point in the past but it is all in the hamlet so should be quite straightforward

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2017, 11:19:14 AM »
You say 'The photos do not do it justice', this could be a big part of your problem, if it is a position to die for then you need to maybe spend some time or money getting a set of great photos done because at the moment ( I am not blaming anyone here and certainly not the agent) it looks a little sorry for itself. Photos of the outbuildings would be good as these could potentially make further accommodation, are they on the documents? These are all good selling points. As agents we go to visit properties and take photos on the day we are there, as owners it may be good to send new photos in different seasons to help promote it.

No one can guarantee this will make any difference but it can only be positive to try and create some interest. I rarely have the time to do it but a change of photos often creates interest, it may just catch the eye of someone who is looking for something just like your place. Distances to bar and restaurants are all positive, if you decide to create a facebook page, maybe photos of the local restaurant would be a good idea, you need people to imagine they are there, even photos of the food etc are all good to share.
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2017, 12:03:38 PM »
I know some people who have had success, after a long time, by marketing to the Dutch, German and Belgian market. Many people left Abruzzo for work in other countries but still retain a love for the place and they don't have Brexit to worry about.

Offline Cassius

« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2017, 01:58:19 PM »
I've seen and heard about a lot of interest from Swedes in the area - again worth a try.

Offline Lois Lane

« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2017, 11:25:38 PM »
I really wish you luck in selling but have negative and positive comments: -

I bought a place just like yours with a view to total restoration. I paid 30,000 euros.
 The renovation costs were considerable.  Just because the house is small does not mean that it will be cheap to renovate. I got 3 builders to quote and the cheapest  was 120,000 euros. I knew that the the house would never be worth that to re-sell.  At best it would be worth around 80,000 euros.

For me it was a no brainer but you might be lucky and find someone who would be prepared to spend the money simply because they like the location, views etc.. It is certainly worth including architects plans and/or artists impression of what it could look like and  promoting it using social media.

On the positive side, I sold my property and land at a loss to a friend of a neighbour who really wanted the land although this was a private deal.  I  really sympathise  with your situation because, like you, I felt that it was worth more but sadly the reality is, that it is only worth what someone will pay.
Good luck!