Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Porcini mushrooms  (Read 992 times)

Offline Sunshine

Porcini mushrooms
« on: November 07, 2015, 10:29:08 AM »
Hi all, been a while since I've posted.  Hope everyone one is ok.

Does anyone know if you can still pick Porcini mushrooms this time of year? Are they easy to find?

I am coming to San Vito Chietino this week for a few days, and would like to do a walk in the mountains and look for them if there are still available.

I was thinking of seeing the waterfall at Cascada del Verde in Borello, or the walk at Bocca di Valle.

Offline linsead oil

Re: Porcini mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 12:58:48 PM »
hi come to our village and talk to our wood turner who youve met i belive he is a expert  on mushrooms on our mountane ,, and yes hes still alive   il take to him and translate if you want  A3

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 02:08:16 PM »
You will be very lucky to find any as local pickers will know the places they grow and will be there daily this time of year.

I normally find them in the UK in August/September.This is one I picked on a hot august morning in Kent!

I have found lots of very tasty types of Boletus fungi which the locals are not so bothered about but do pick the young ones or they will be full of maggots
a third rate mind follows the crowd

thediggers

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 08:06:53 PM »
It looks superb!

Offline Sunshine

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 01:07:36 AM »
Thanks for the offer Linsead. I came popped in to see you last December when I was with my son if you remember. If we're coming your way, I will warn you before hand!

Dolce that looks fantastic, hope it tasted as good too. But hot August morning in Kent? I thought they were meant to be around during the damp September/October period.

I will post a photo if I find anything (it'll probably be a plate of pasta with porcini mushrooms and sauce knowing my luck :D