Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Doctor  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Cheryl

Re: Doctor
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 09:33:42 PM »
Hmm,o getting confused now, nobody has said anything about medical care or any other issues, maybe banking, that's it, all on our lonesome squandering in a mist....all we have is the info on forum.
We were told that if you had nat. Insurance card you were entitled to the same health care as the Italians.  That's what happens to Europeans in England. How naive can I be. HELP.

thediggers

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 09:57:58 PM »
Hmm,o getting confused now, nobody has said anything about medical care or any other issues, maybe banking, that's it, all on our lonesome squandering in a mist....all we have is the info on forum.
We were told that if you had nat. Insurance card you were entitled to the same health care as the Italians.  That's what happens to Europeans in England. How naive can I be. HELP.

Can't recall your circumstances Cheryl from the old forum. Sure you are relatively new here in Italy, but things changed in the UK  re medical care abroad from 1st July 2014 . Don't want to bother you with too much detail as I'm sure you have enough going on at present. I have links for the changes that took place, if you need them. For now the basics are that under your UK NI your are no longer covered when longer or short term abroad, including the EU, if under UK state pension age... (note wife can cover hubby and hubby cover wife for medical care - or could...)! Most important thing is not to worry too much (I know easy said), things will get sorted...  Off to check out where you are at, get back on what else you need to know ...

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 10:06:53 PM »
Hmmm came here to chill and live longer.......we bought house here 5 years ago but have both just took early retirement 59 and 60. We don't know our long term plans, just wanted to chill in a lovely place and live longer with no stress.  Big joke eh, only been here 2 months and already more stressed than in England.

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 10:13:37 PM »
its all verry well quating  laws and  regs but this does not necesary aply to tghe part  of abruzzo you live  in , like it or not  each comune  reads th3e laws as they want  oh and each ofice  does the same  read it how they want i mean 

find a shaker mover in your area listen  to what they say aqnd  hang on it could be a rough  roide  or a smooth one 

and dont forget  england  is not part of the eu  as i was told by a high up  questera head of imagration in chieti
and he belived it
  find a contact and roll with the punches  you will soon find out its  usaly no  good qouting eu law

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 10:20:15 PM »
Hmmm came here to chill and live longer.......we bought house here 5 years ago but have both just took early retirement 59 and 60. We don't know our long term plans, just wanted to chill in a lovely place and live longer with no stress.  Big joke eh, only been here 2 months and already more stressed than in England.
[/q

ote

we came here at the same age as you yes its stresfull  at first till you find people you can trust to help you  though the maze   we werte a while finding them and it cost us a fortune not just  money  but heart ach as well hang in there and  i have sent you a pm ]

thediggers

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 10:23:55 PM »

Someone wrote this recently on another forum...

Italy is so special because no matter how frustrated, pissed off, exasperated one gets with the ''System'', the Politics, the Bureaucracy and any other myriad of negatives here; you can still get home, have a glass of your preferred tipple, make a bowl of pasta with a simple sauce sit on your terrace and as if by magic...... non of it really matters. Italy has this ability to be able to forgive itself for all (well almost) of its Sins.

Which I thought is absolutely true... However at the moment I don't think it will help... I would say, pack a bag and go back to the UK, but hubby's bad ear would not be helped by flying I think... If your main worry is still the medical advice, do you still have a doctor in the UK? If so, what about a call telling them you are here and asking them what should be done... If nothing else it may ease your minds about what is being done here... If it's just the admin and cost side, then sit down and think about it... Can we afford it, does it matter... You just need take your time and learn to chill a bit more... It does take time and two moves like yours to retire and come abroad are big... We did the same and bought and sold in the UK within months in addition to a lot more stressful episodes. Now 3-4 years down the line we look back and think ... ! Things are still forever changing and we are still coming to terms with retirement and living here (and there), but would not change a thing...  :P

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 10:31:25 PM »
Chill Cheryl ;)

Firstly forgive me, I don't remember your circumstances, are you intending to live here permanently or just for extended holidays? A lot will depend on whether you are resident or not.

Linseads advice is good, if you can hook up with someone in your area, who knows the ropes and can help you, that's your best bet. Failing that I'm sure the forum will help if it can.

I can't really advise because I got residency and did the whole health care thing a long time ago and things have changed a lot but I'm sure there are people who have more recent experience who can advise.

Meanwhile rest assured that the medical treatment here is good and you won't ever be turned away in an emergency. The paperwork and red tape here can be a right royal pain in the #%* but in an emergency! the Italians are wonderful.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 10:38:45 PM »
Thanks for the emotional help etc, we really havnt decided what to do long term, we are looking into getting residency but it seems so complicated, is it worth it or should we just move back and forwards and across and down... Europe that is, intended to travel a bit in motor home with Italy as base, but don't know now, have a lot of thinking to do but keep putting it of.. Like a proper italian eh...

thediggers

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 11:16:54 PM »
Thanks for the emotional help etc, we really havnt decided what to do long term, we are looking into getting residency but it seems so complicated, is it worth it or should we just move back and forwards and across and down... Europe that is, intended to travel a bit in motor home with Italy as base, but don't know now, have a lot of thinking to do but keep putting it of.. Like a proper italian eh...

I did have a lot more of a doom and gloom response.... but hey this time of night... Residence is not that complex (that should tell you a little), if you paid the tax as a none resident when buying the house,  which I assume is the case as it was 5 years ago.... , it's not worth a jot apart from perhaps being able to buy a second hand car, slightly cheaper bills and perhaps easier opening a bank account.  A technical detail is that you are likely by default resident if here more than 3 months (you are expected to apply for residency).
I would suggest, from what you say, you would be better staying in Italy no more than 182 days (Jan-Dec) in their tax year. Say April to September here in Italy, take a nice leisurely trip back to the UK in the motor home and enjoy Europe on the way back to the UK... Just a thought...

Offline Olive Oyl

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 07:41:51 AM »
We arrived 6 weeks ago to live here permanently - where has the time gone! I did a lot of research beforehand and found out that as we'd pay NI we were entitled to an S1 which basically gives us the same rights healthcare wise as an Italian resident. We were lucky as we applied for one just before 1 July when it all changed and ours is only valid for 6 months so will wait and see what happens the . We might have to take out health insurance - we'll see.

Getting residency wasn't a real problem once I gave the lady in the anagrafe a translation of what the S1 is about and we got our health cards straight away after residency.

Are now waiting to sort out our enel account and bank account to residency ones and registering the dog and I think that should be it.

Maybe we've been lucky and it has taken a bit of going back and forth but in the scheme of things we didn't think it was that complex as long as you've done the research and know what to take with you wherever you go.

I say go for it - if you love it here, why not? Perhaps if you can prove you came out here before July you can get a retrospective S1 issued too or else just get health insurance.

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 08:28:33 AM »
iam afraid  this is  a subject  you can not draw on the exprence of  otheres , asw olive oyl said it was easy   and it sounds  like it was , soime comunes hand out  residency  heath cards ect   like sweetys  , otheres its like puling teeth and no matter how many times you tell them its  your  right as  a eu member to have this and that   they stil dig there stubin   heals in  . and wont acept any thing you  take

so roll with the punches  and ask perhapes  your geroimeter  who is the lord mayer of your town i belive to help you 

Any chin up  , youl will have better days  i promise 

IF I WAS TO STRART ON THE HURDELS We have  thown at us and the  big big heath problems   brocken limbs strokes  phonomea  weeksw in hospitals   

now we have freinds who help us thought the mine fiel that is italy   and are enjoying our life here 

chin up  dont let the beggers get  you down

Offline Cassius

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 08:49:59 AM »
As others say every commune is different.  In our commune we have to have proof of a lot of money in an Italian bank plus give written assurance that we have sufficient income to live on.  Cheryl - my thoughts are with you because starting out over here can be very very hard.  Some people seem to take to life here very easily - I find the rather chaotic and haphazard approach infuriating and very very stressful - everyone is different and has their own experiences. 

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 11:36:11 AM »
In the pioneering  days of house around italy .we early ones still moan about them but at least they did help you get residence   elec bills   codice fishali   ect even though they charged a fortune ie  250 eros to open a bank AC 150 for codice fiscali  but at least they gave a service , dont any of the house agents offer  the same service  , if not why not

oh and when we needed a sannitary card  when hospital was shoving bills under our noses  our gerometer got us them in five minuets  . as this is all so the time i have taken to help people get residency  yes  5 mins in and out and the local bobby will come and see  you next week to  have a cup of tea and se if you live in the house

but other people have to fight to get marige certs tranlated ect   and jump though lots of hoops

if any newbys need help i am now retired and willing to help out  to get all your docs

but wont  promise a easy ride it depends on the  pearson behind the desk at that time

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2014, 11:52:06 AM »
Cassius, what do you mean by a lot of money? How long does the piece of string need to be?

Offline Cassius

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 12:01:25 PM »
Cassius, what do you mean by a lot of money? How long does the piece of string need to be?

I'll pm you.