Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Doctor  (Read 4003 times)

Offline Cheryl

Doctor
« on: August 25, 2014, 08:44:58 PM »
Hi, Tim's ear infection shows no sign of clearing up, even after antibiotics, I suppose we should have sorted this before now but you allways think tomorrow.... Anyway, how do I go about seeing a gp here, can he just turn up at a surgery with his passport,  European health insurance card and wallet and sit and wait and wait and wait.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Re: Doctor
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 08:52:49 PM »
You could always go to Pronto Socorso at the nearest hospital, explain you don't have a doctor. You may get charged if they think it's not an emergency but I don't expect it would be much and you shouldn't wait with an ear infection.

Offline Shebar

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 09:02:42 PM »
Where did you get the antibiotics?

I suspect that if you turn up at your nearest doctor, after a very long wait, s/he will probably direct you to Pronto Soccorso anyway because you are not registered there.

I would suggest you go to Lanciano rather than Casoli (which is more like a cottage hospital), though I'm sure that lots of those local to Casoli will be up in arms at such a suggestion. 

I would be very surprised if you get charged for your treatment - the health service here seems to me to be very accommodating.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 09:07:17 PM »
We got the antibiotics from our local pharmacy, very accommodating, strange thing buying antibiotics over the counter, but as long as you know what you are doing, and so cheap....may just go and wait at local surgery tomorrow and see what happens, I think most doctors would speak a basic English.

Offline Shebar

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 09:12:01 PM »
I think most doctors would speak a basic English.

I wouldn't be so sure of that, good luck...and keep us posted of your progress.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 09:17:12 PM »
Will do, although Tim being deaf means I can moan and groan all I like and he doesn't even notice, just keep smiling and nodding.  But he is like a puppy that has just been kicked, very down and withdrawn. (Not that I have ever kicked a puppy)

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 09:27:59 PM »
go to guardregrele  hospital drive roung the back to  pronto socorso park in the ambulace bay covered   say molto mali  lue  and they will helpo been there done that got the t shirt  verry helpful and usaly not to busy  medisen normaly  does not nneed a lingo  but if you  have any probs  ring me  3407251107 and il pop along and help

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 09:35:18 PM »
Don't forget to tell them which antibiotic he's been taking and for how long.

Just incase there isn't an English speaker there, arm yourself with a few important phrases, written down in Italian.

Good luck

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 10:02:31 PM »
Thanks folks, must say why do I leave things till the last minute,  hate not being in control and my poorly man needs help. Hopefully will sort it out tomorrow one way or another, thanks for the advise, all taken on board...

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 10:06:54 PM »
Especially bless you Linsead, I thought you may have been offended when we cancelled short notice to the meet up, was really looking forward to it but tim really bad, honest, thanks for your offers of help and and advice, hope we don't need them but nice to know they are there, watch this space......

Offline Allan Mason

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 10:47:53 PM »
Agree with all that's been said and hope you are able to sort it out soon. I'm sure your husband must be extremely uncomfortable.

I don't know how ear infections are normally treated in Italy, but your mention of antibiotics makes me think that you should be prepared to be given a prescription for medication that needs to be injected. Apart from diabetics, I've never heard of British doctors asking patients or non-medical carers to give injections, but that's considered entirely normal in Italy. So don't be shocked if the chemist gives you packets of glass vials and a few syringes.

Our understanding is that there's usually someone in most communities who is deemed capable of safely giving injections, but it's not brain surgery and you can find good instructions for how and where to give an intramuscular injection on the internet. My - very limited - understanding is that antibiotics are normally given either by intramuscular injection or by IV drip. I'd be astonished if a lay person was ever asked to set up a drip, so I strongly suspect the intramuscular method is the only possibility.

Also, be aware that some antibiotics are provided in the form of a powder which needs to be dissolved in sterile water that comes in second vial. The internet also has tips on how to deal with the breakable glass vials. They can be a little tricky if you've never dealt with them before and it is highly advisable to wrap the vial in paper towel or similar when breaking so as to reduce the chance of cuts. So it's a matter of sucking the water out of the vial, injecting it in the powder bottle and shaking it until completely dissolved. If you care about the comfort of the patient, it's best to use a new needle to then suck the solution out and inject, since the needle used for the dissolving will have been blunted slightly by perforating rubber membrane(s).

I had an infection early in the year that was treated with antibiotic and steroid injections twice a day for several weeks. One particular type of antibiotic was very viscous and uncomfortable when injected, but the whole process was more tedious than painful.

Something else to bear in mind is that it's very important to finish any course of antibiotics, even if the problem seems to be solved rapidly. Stopping antibiotics too soon are a major factor in the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

Al

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 05:45:38 PM »
Well, dr seen, no problem with that, 15 euros, got to go to atessa for blood test tomorrow, hmm, wonder how much that will be, it's not at a hospital but at a laboratory?

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 05:58:22 PM »
not much for the test if its only  one  yust blood about  ten eros   , but to have a full  check of all body  fluids about  50 eros  but you will get results pretty fast   

in praise of the italian heath servce  to day took mrs lin for a verry important  scan  eco dubler  scan of  blood cicelation  in and out  in  half an hour  results in  hand  , not bad for a small hospital ie  guardregrele exulant  service

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 07:16:33 PM »
Is it normal to pay for a dr consultation or is it because we weren't registered,.

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 08:52:11 PM »
hasent  any one  helped you find and register with a  docter  you need to find somone to help you with this some house agents  have girl fridays to help you with this  ask 

if the y dont get in touch with  gbatt 9 on here  he will help you  , have you got a sanitarie card if not irf  your taken into hospital they will soon start coming round with large bills   to be paid  i know for a fact  got the T shirt on this as well  the laws are to complycated for me to go into  you need some  one who knows  gbatt your man