Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Car hire  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Casa Nicola

Car hire
« on: September 26, 2015, 10:11:52 AM »
Hi
I know this to topic has been discussed before
We are coming over to Italy next Saturday and looking to hire a car, I have always gone through Hertz with minimal problems, they no longer do this via Ryanair
Has anyone got a direct email for hertz at pescara or can you advice  a reputable company at the airport to hire from?
Thankyou

Offline Christoforo

Re: Car hire
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 01:58:29 PM »
I always hired thru AutoEurope .. mostly they provide thru the Sicily by Car company @ Pescara but sometimes Avis  .. when I have had problems (rarely) AutoEurope (as the umbrella hire co) have been very helpful.

Offline Casa Nicola

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 09:54:03 PM »
Thankyou, I have just booked via auto Europe and have had price for Sicily by car, £88 pound for 7 days which is good, hopefully the weather will be good when I arrive Saturday

Offline La Vigna

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 07:08:22 PM »
Just an update on DVLA hire check codes. We duly got our codes before travel to Pescara for car hire at the airport. We weren't asked for them so not filtered through yet at Sicily by Car.

Offline Red Mistral

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 10:38:29 PM »
The DVLA codes are only required in UK, I don't imagine an Italian(or indeed any other European car hire company) would be at all interested or understand the documents!

Offline maritodi

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 08:27:53 AM »
You could probably hire a car on a UK provisional license in Italy!  ;D

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 04:19:55 PM »
I have had the most terrible time with Sicilly by Car and would avoid them at all costs! I have reported problems to rentalcars.com who are looking into it for me.

Basically they require you to 'load' your credit card before you get the car this means paying in around £700 to your cc.
However if this goes over your set limit then you will have problems with your bank as I have had.I now have to pay 3% of the £700 as I withdraw it from my cc account to pay back into my current account.

My bank say that the hire company should not be doing this so I am waiting now to hear from the agency.
a third rate mind follows the crowd

Offline La Vigna

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 04:43:13 PM »
We have rented from Sicily by Car about four times now and although they take our credit card details they have never taken anything from our account. We booked via Autoeurope.

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 05:35:16 PM »
I have had the most terrible time with Sicilly by Car and would avoid them at all costs! I have reported problems to rentalcars.com who are looking into it for me.

Basically they require you to 'load' your credit card before you get the car this means paying in around £700 to your cc.
However if this goes over your set limit then you will have problems with your bank as I have had.I now have to pay 3% of the £700 as I withdraw it from my cc account to pay back into my current account.

My bank say that the hire company should not be doing this so I am waiting now to hear from the agency.

Dolce most companies will not accept Prepaid cards, you need a debit or a credit card, if you have a credit card they hold the money, if you give them a debit card (some won't accept but those in Pescara do) they take the money then give it you back, any other type of card they do not usually accept. It's bad I know but they all do it, in England most will not even accept a debit card, its all to do with how they hold your money incase you damage the car, prepaid cards (I believe) do not have this system

I have used Sicily by car and all the others at Pescara when I hire vans for my tours and I have always used my debit card with no problem at all.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 05:36:58 PM by Vignaverde »
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

thediggers

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 07:46:52 PM »
Car hire companies are one of those in the EU line of sight for investigation and not too soon by far! Thankfully we rarely hire these days, but have used Autoeurope a few times and found them very helpful. Perhaps from what La Vigna has said they cover any "deposit" requirement, which is just another money making scam on the car hire companies part. That along with their excess cover charges costing more than the hire, can't believe some people (family) don't have excess yearly cover at £30-40/yr...

Offline IDF

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 07:57:58 PM »
I looked at car hire at Bologna last week and my usual provider showed a favourable price. I looked a day later and the price had doubled. So I looked at the BA car hire. Avis through BA was half the price of Avis through comparison websites for the same class of car

Offline La Vigna

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 08:39:33 PM »
Agree with diggers on daily excess insurance cover costing more than the car hire itself whereas annual cover (£40 approx.) makes more sense if you use car hire more than once. However, you do have to pay damage excess to the car hire company should you damage the car and then claim it back from the insurance company that you have the annual cover with. Haven't had to do that yet (touch wood) but the reviews on the policy looked positive.
On the hire costs, after booking once at what I thought a good price, I discovered it was even cheaper just before travel. I phoned the broker to complain and was credited with the difference!

Offline Red Mistral

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 08:23:48 AM »
Agree with diggers on daily excess insurance cover costing more than the car hire itself whereas annual cover (£40 approx.) makes more sense if you use car hire more than once. However, you do have to pay damage excess to the car hire company should you damage the car and then claim it back from the insurance company that you have the annual cover with. Haven't had to do that yet (touch wood) but the reviews on the policy looked positive.

Yes, we have the annual policy and have had to use it in the UK once. The company were very quick to settle.

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 08:32:31 AM »
i tgake one out  with  car 4  even if its only  for a week  cheaper plus peace of mind  plus we have cover for a year case we have to go back to the  uk   note i say have  to go back  ;D A3